If the initial request for your grievance is denied at the town level (which is common), filing a Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) will get your case reviewed individually at the next level. If you’re eligible, TRS will automatically file for you.

Here’s the breakdown:

You can file if you fall under these conditions:

– You are a property owner of a 1, 2, or 3 family residential home that you live in.
– You own a seasonal home which you occupy for a length of time during the year.
– You own a vacant lot that is too small to have a home on.

You cannot file with these conditions:

– Four or more families
– Cooperative units
– Certain condominium units
– Unoccupied buildings
– Corporation/partnership owned properties
– Homes containing an office/store/business
– Homes where the owner does not occupy the home
– Rentals


-If your property is valued at $450,000 or more, the maximum reduction allowed is 25%
-You may not request an assessment lower than your request in the initial grievance
-If you receive a reduction by SCAR, you may not challenge your assessment the following year without special circumstances.